We really were a medicine factory
From 1912 to the 1930s, the McConnon Co. made and distributed various general health, medicinal, and even cooking related products. In the 1940s, the Stewart family opened a coffee and snack company in the building, which lasted into the 1950s when the National Rose Company produced a line of mattresses there. In 2005, Phillip Lewis and family purchased the building, converting the old factory into studio space for artists as well as a place for presenting exhibitions of installation-based work, encouraging artists to create and experiment onsite. In 2018, Lewis’s father, Phillip, and brother, Joseph, purchased the building to enhance the property and arts organization and to open the space up to events for all to enjoy.
Who we are
The Medicine Factory is located in downtown Memphis in an 18,000 sq. ft. building, originally built in 1912 for McConnon & Co. Mfg. Today it is an independent arts organization presenting work through exhibitions in our gallery and warehouse spaces, encouraging both emerging and established artists to create or install work on site for an exhibition or in one of the many private studios throughout the building as their personal long-term work space. The building also hosts many different types of events, including private parties and charity events.
We want to hear from you
To find out more about The Medicine Factory, call 901-210-6832 or submit the email form below.
The Medicine Factory
Physical Address: 85 W. Virginia Ave., Memphis. TN 38106
Mailing Address: 9421 Plantation Way, Germantown, TN 38139